So I got into a debate with my dad last night (though I'm sure if my sister were there she would've called it an argument) mostly about religious beliefs.
It started with me commenting on this pic http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=353 . In particular the part on the professor "He tightly holds his "Origins of Species" book by Charles Darwin. This represent the liberal lefts control of our educational system." ...the liberal lefts control? The fuck! Liberal left control my ass, public school in this country (K-12) is neither conservative or liberal, it's exactly what we've allowed it to degrade to.
However, it was from that, that my dad made the comment that this nation was founded on Christian beliefs. =_= So, I had to explain some things.
I started off by simply saying that NOWHERE in either the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence does it mention God either directly or indirectly, all it says is the first amendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". That's the freedom of religion, that people can/not believe what they want and the government will not recognize one over the other (no thanks to the bullshit of McCarthism in the 50's "In God We Trust" my ass). He of course had to IMMEDIATELY try to refute that saying yes it was. My simple reply "show me where it says in either document the word God directly or indirectly".
He had no reply to that...instead he decided to take a different...and rather absurd route.
He picked up a book he had on the table next to him "65 Signs of the Times Leading Up to the Second Coming" written by David J Ridges. He started to go off saying how he's written about interpreting all the crap that's in revelations in the bible. I responded by saying how all that stuff has happened multiple times since the book was supposedly written (personally I liken the book of revelations to that of a 5 cent fortune telling machine). His only response "no, it's happening now". Hmm...interesting...I don't recall anything being in there, either literally or euphemistically, about the decline of the dollar, an "attack" by Islamic extremists, the US going to war (illegally I might add) with another country, the socialization of our health care. But he wouldn't say what exactly it was that the book said is happening now.
Since he obviously couldn't win that point, he went on to an even more absurd point. Apparently David writes in the book the the spirits of the founding fathers of this country came to one of the presidents of the LDS church asking 1) Why things were happening and 2) if they could be baptised into the church. =_=* Ok...this is the thing that fucking irritates the outright living hell out of me with the LDS church. Fucking baptisms for the dead...WHAT THE FUCK!!! Personally, if I'm dead, don't you DARE make the decision to baptise me into some bullshit cult (as defined by Belgium). So to say that they came to him asking that is just completely fucking STUPID!
I asked him for the witnesses to this event as that's how EVERYTHING in the LDS church works...he had no answer and couldn't find it in the book. Hmm...sounds like this book is as bad as Ray Comfort's version of the Origin of Species.
After that he kept just saying how all the stuff in revelations is going to happen, and that George Washington and ensemble came to the president and all this. Basically he took the standard Christian approach: When you're confronted with facts that you're wrong, just keep repeating what is wrong until it's fact. Too bad that tactic doesn't work for me.
He finally just stopped talking about it after trying to mention some random stuff out of the book of mormon and the bible. Though, each time he did, I quoted what was said in each book and pointed out some other fallacies about it. The one that really got him is when I mentioned that Paul wrote that Jesus would be coming back BEFORE Paul died...hmm...we're at...what...about 1900-1950 years past that? Yeah, I think that was another bullshit prophecy from someone who was probably huffing donkey piss and wanted something to fap to sleep to.
But, that's more or less the end of that little episode...not that he'll change, but I'll keep presenting the evidence...especially when he makes idiotic statements like "Origin of Species is nothing but a big fairytale" (hence where one of my quotes came from). How he hasn't figured out I'm an atheist...I guess shouldn't be too surprising, he's not the sharpest crayon in the box...and the box is missing it's sharpener.
Who I am
- Sakura
- I am an atheist, in fact, I describe myself as a Humanist for I believe in the good in people, not mythical beings.
Places to avoid
This is a section for establishments that openly promote religion:
National Chains
Chick-fil-a
In-n-Out Burger
Alaska Airlines (include bible quotes with meals)
Forever 21 (puts John 3:16 on their tags)
Country Bob's sauces (look who the CEO is)
Edwards frozen pies (bible verse on pie tin)
Desert Essence (beauty products)
Estes (aquarium stones)
Food for Life (baked goods)
Brim's Old South (chips and the like)
Daniel Chapter One (look at the mission statement at the bottom)
Curves (gyms, leaves bibles in workout areas)
Aldi Foods (has buybull verses on the inside of egg cartons)
Local
Megaplex Theatres* Utah
Carter Brothers Bar-B-Que North Carolina
Franchises (companies who don't seem to be religiously affiliated but might have franchisees who do)
Subway
If you know of any others, please send me a message giving me the name of the company and if possible a link to the company's website showing that they promote religious ideas.
For example http://www.incrediblepizza.com/about.php If you look at bullet number 3 under the mission statement. "We operate our business by Christian principles". The alternate of this would be if they have a religious symbol on their products and/or building. In the case of the pizza company, they have the jebus fish on the doors as you walk in.
I have to give credit to the religutards over at http://www.prophecyfellowship.org/archive/index.php/t-147138.html who posted most of these for me to find so easily!
*Megaplex Theatres is owned by the Larry H Miller Corp who gives 10% of their earnings to the LDS church
If you have the name and possibly a website of a company who proseltyzies a religion and would like me to add it, please comment on this post: http://yamipirogoeth.blogspot.com/2010/07/places-to-avoid.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm curious to know how McNaughton figures that the folding of the flag ending with "In God We Trust" dates back to Washington. When we all know it doesn't date back that far.
ReplyDeleteSorry, for your woe. I'm glad my immediate family are all atheist/agnostic. I couldn't imagine the frustration.
Yeah, I haven't figured out how that works...nor do I want to really understand cause it goes along with Christian thinking...and that's crazy
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment, it is hard, and not something I would wish upon anyone either.