So I recently joined the group De-God Your Money (if it doesn't work, here is the link to copy and paste http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=389916748054&ref=mf or just search for what's highlighted) as it has a very valid point. Within maybe 15 minutes I received a comment on my activity from someone I've known for 20+ years saying "Seriously?" to which I replied "Yeah, why not, it was added illegally to our money".
That seemed the end of it until about 20 minutes later I receive a text from the same person saying "Who have u been talking to to make u think that god isnt real and to de-God everything?" Despite the accusation that someone else affected my thinking I responded simply "I read the bible and that was proof enough".
Almost 30 minutes later I get a string of texts to which I didn't even want to dignify a response:
"That's sad to hear u think that. But ur wrong and being deceived"
"What about the Book of Mormon?"
That first one actually pissed me off. Why? Hmm...to actually accuse me of being wrong and deceived WITHOUT even asking real questions is pretty damn cowardly...sadly, this is standard theist thinking. This is also part of why I didn't dignify a response to it as the only thing I could really say is that he's the one who's being deceived by one book that if someone did ANY of those actions today would be considered a lunatic and be locked up to never see the light of day and the second which was written by a conman who was in trouble with the law for peep-stoning and knowingly took underage wives against their will.
Hmm...just how in the hell am I the one being deceived here.
The other issue here, is that he obviously has issues with himself if he insists on projecting his views on me and insisting that he's right and that I'm wrong...a rather disgusting and unsightly human behavior that god and jebus seem to mimic.
I've known the guy for 20+ years, but, if all he's going to do is be a theist asshole to me when I haven't said a single damn word to him about religion, then I don't need him and I could care less about that. I'd rather have friends that are apathetic to my thoughts and feelings or agree with them, not someone who feels they MUST correct me and make me experience the light of jebus.
=_= well, I'm gonna cut this now cause it's still pissing me off and about all the rest I would do is just type string upon strings of swear words.
Any thoughts anyone?
Who I am
- Sakura
- I am an atheist, in fact, I describe myself as a Humanist for I believe in the good in people, not mythical beings.
Places to avoid
This is a section for establishments that openly promote religion:
National Chains
Chick-fil-a
In-n-Out Burger
Alaska Airlines (include bible quotes with meals)
Forever 21 (puts John 3:16 on their tags)
Country Bob's sauces (look who the CEO is)
Edwards frozen pies (bible verse on pie tin)
Desert Essence (beauty products)
Estes (aquarium stones)
Food for Life (baked goods)
Brim's Old South (chips and the like)
Daniel Chapter One (look at the mission statement at the bottom)
Curves (gyms, leaves bibles in workout areas)
Aldi Foods (has buybull verses on the inside of egg cartons)
Local
Megaplex Theatres* Utah
Carter Brothers Bar-B-Que North Carolina
Franchises (companies who don't seem to be religiously affiliated but might have franchisees who do)
Subway
If you know of any others, please send me a message giving me the name of the company and if possible a link to the company's website showing that they promote religious ideas.
For example http://www.incrediblepizza.com/about.php If you look at bullet number 3 under the mission statement. "We operate our business by Christian principles". The alternate of this would be if they have a religious symbol on their products and/or building. In the case of the pizza company, they have the jebus fish on the doors as you walk in.
I have to give credit to the religutards over at http://www.prophecyfellowship.org/archive/index.php/t-147138.html who posted most of these for me to find so easily!
*Megaplex Theatres is owned by the Larry H Miller Corp who gives 10% of their earnings to the LDS church
If you have the name and possibly a website of a company who proseltyzies a religion and would like me to add it, please comment on this post: http://yamipirogoeth.blogspot.com/2010/07/places-to-avoid.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well, of course this is the central problem - we live in a society where the majority of people are playing an absurd and damaging game of make-believe, and if you point out that their beliefs are CRAZY and unexamined they don't respond with critical analysis, they attack you.
ReplyDeleteI think your response "I don't believe in a Christian God because I read the bible" is a good one that needs to be repeated again and again...but also ask them if they believe in Zeus, Ra, Helios and of course Sathya Sai Baba.
Kudos for taking your stand!
Sadly they do that...which of course also shows how removed they are from reality. Plus, I have yet to see the personal attack truly work, especially when it's called out.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's why I repeat it all the time, cause it's probably the simplest way to explain it to either a die hard Christian or to some fanfic believing Mormon. Lol, yes, it reminds me of something I read online a while ago "I propose that we're all Atheists, I just believe in one less God than you do"
Thank you, I hope anyone reading my blog might have the courage to stand up to things such as this in the future.
So, did you "de-friended" him? I've seen people unfriending others for less than that. ON the other hand, I had a similar case with a guy I worked with, and after friending him on facebook, noticed that he was not only christian, but a pastor, the kind who believes the Earth is 6000 years old and the world is going to end. When I met Richard Dawkins he posted some video seemingly "debunking" him. I still answered and thought about unfriending him, but still kept him there. Why? because then I knew the stuff I put were at least, annoying him.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, no one is free of having religious zealots in their FB.
No, I haven't de-friended him as I figure it's stupid to waste 20+ years of friendship...and lately he's backed off all the religious crap too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I just like to find stuff (in particular liking stuff that Blair Scott http://www.facebook.com/rblairscott posts) that can annoy him XD
Nice, unless he has blocked you, he must be getting kind of annoyed. And if he has, that's like admitting, gosh, that girl sure annoys me. Keep the good work. Oh, I just started following you on twitter.
ReplyDeleteI don't think he has, cause he's sent me a few IM's. Though, I hope he's getting annoyed with everything that I join and all that on Facebook, it only shows that he's not accepting.
ReplyDeleteAh, cool, I'll follow back